- Step By Step Installation Procedure
- 3CX Active Directory Sync Configuration Screen
- Register Software
- Web Portal
3CX Phone System has the ability to download all of your current user settings from your Active Directory Server via the LDAP protocol. All the user’s data such as first and last names, mobile numbers, and email addresses will be queried from the Active Directory and extensions will be created with a click of a button. This will save the administrator a great amount of time and resources.
1.1. What does it do?
Companies that use Microsoft Active Directory (AD) may want to ensure that when a user is deleted from AD, then the user is deleted from the 3CX too. The ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ application automates this process by performing a series of actions like logging into AD with valid credentials, followed by collecting the list of users in AD that have an extension specified, and then by comparing them with those in 3CX. During the process, if it is found that a specific extension exists in 3CX but not in AD, then the ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ deletes the extension from the 3CX. You can configure ‘Schedule Timer’ in various modes (Frequency/ Specific Time of the Day/ On Demand) to initiate ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ to perform these actions.
Before installing ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’, you need to ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements mentioned below:
- 3CX Version V16 and V18
- Windows 10 or above / Windows Server 2012 or above
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or above (Including the free SQL Express edition)
- Internet Information Server (IIS) 7.0 or above
- .Net 4.7.2 or above
- When installing SQL Server, we recommend you install it in “Mixed Mode” to include SQL Authentication, and install SQL Management Studio
- When installing IIS, be sure to install Basic Authentication, .Net Extensibility, and ASP.Net 4.X
You can order ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ online at https://www.voiptools.com. Your order confirmation email will include your license key and a link to download the software.
There are a number of prerequisites that must be installed prior to installing ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’. These prerequisites include Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server
Install 3CX Active Directory Sync
This User Guide contains step-by-step instructions to successfully install ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’. Begin by extracting the installer from the downloaded zip file (Step 1 above), then run the setup program named 3CXActiveDirectorySyncInstaller.exe
Register your License Key
You must register your license key to activate ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’. Your license key is included in your order confirmation email, and can also be found in your order history on our website.
Step By Step Installation Procedure #
The following section guides you through a detailed walk-through of the installation process.
Step 1: Download 3CX Power Dialer #
You can find the software download link in the Order Confirmation Email, or you can find it in your order history on our website.
Step 2: Install the Prerequisites #
Click on the software installer downloaded in Step 1. The installation wizard will automatically identify the prerequisites and assist you with each installation required to 3CX Power Dialer. It includes .NET Framework (Web Installer), SQL Server Express (Web Installer), and SQL Server Management Studio.
- Click the downloaded installer executable to launch the Prerequisites Setup Wizard and click Next.
In the Prerequisites window, install all the required prerequisites identified by the installer, or select/ unselect the applications based on your requirements and click Next to continue.
The installer will download and install the selected applications. It may take several minutes to complete.
The Microsoft SQL Server License Terms page gets displayed if you install SQL Server Express. Click Accept to acknowledge the license terms and continue.
In the Media Location field, browse to change the location and click Install to begin the installation of SQL Server Express.
3CX Active Directory Sync Configuration Screen #
The 3CX Active Directory Sync Settings configuration screen enables you to register software and, update your application to latest version
Click Close when you install the prerequisites.
Installation is in progress. It may take several minutes to complete the installation.
Click Yes in the Confirmation Message Box to reboot the computer.+
Step 3: Start the installation process #
- Click Next on the 3CX Power Dialer Setup Wizard screen.
- On the Select Installation Folder window, the Folder field displays the path where the 3CX Power Dialer gets installed. You cannot change the location path.
- Click Next to continue
Step 4: Test Relay Settings #
- On the 3CX Relay Services window in the Relay Host field, enter the IP address or FQDN of your 3CX server.
- To maximize security, you must configure the Relay and 3CX Power Dialer to use HTTPS (TLS encryption). To use TLS security, set the Relay Port to 8801 and the Protocol to HTTPS.
Fig 10: Configure Relay settings
- Click Test Relay Settings to confirm that ‘3CX Power Dialer’ can communicate with the Relay services running on the 3CX server.
- You must set the Relay Port to 8800 and the Protocol to HTTP if your Relay cannot use TLS encryption.
- If the test was unsuccessful:
- Confirm you have the correct firewall port open (default TCP 8801) on the 3CX server and the firewall protecting the 3CX server.
- Confirm that you have entered the correct IP address / FQDN for the 3CX server.
- Confirm that the 3CX Power Dialer and Relay use the same port and protocol.
- Click OK in the Success message box.
Fig 11: Test Relay success
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
If the Relay test fails, you cannot continue the installation until you establish communication with the Relay.
Step 5: Configure the database #
When configuring 3CX Power Dialer, select an existing Microsoft SQL Server instance in your environment. The database server can be a remote SQL Server (How-to configure SQL server to permit remote connections (https://www.voiptools.com/configure-sql-server-for-remote-access-over-internet/)) or a local instance running on the VolPTools server.
- On the SQL Database window in the Server field, select the desired instance of SQL Server.
- To use SQL Authentication, uncheck the Trusted Connection checkbox.
- In the Username and Password fields, enter valid SQL login account credentials.
- We recommend you use SQL Authentication rather than Windows authentication. Many of our tools leverage a Call Flow Designer (CFD) application running on the 3CX. Frequently our CFD applications require access to a SQL database. If the 3CX server and the database server are not in an Active Directory domain, Windows authentication will fail.
- To use SQL Authentication, you must configure the SQL server to run in Mixed Mode. If you install SQL Server with our tools, we configure SQL in Mixed Mode.
- To use Windows Integrated Authentication (not recommended), check the Trusted Connection (Windows integrated authentication) checkbox.
Fig 13: Trusted Connection settings
In the Database field, the installer will automatically display the default database name. We encourage you to use the default name. To upgrade or reinstall 3CX Power Dialer, select the current database name from the list.
- Click the Tool buttons to confirm connectivity to SQL Server. and click OK on the Test Results message box.
Fig 14: Database connection test success message
Step 6: Installing 3CX Power Dialer #
- Click Install in the Ready to Install window.
The application installation may take several minutes to complete.
Check the Launch 3CX Power Dialer checkbox and click Finish when the installation is complete.
Register Software #
Registration is required to authorize your license key. Registering also makes it possible for VoIPTools to provide a replacement key if your license key is ever lost. Also, it enables VoIPTools to notify you of any product updates, and reminders if your key is reaching the renewal date.
- In the 3CX Active Directory Sync Settings configuration screen, in the License tab, and in the License Key field, enter the valid license key.
- Enter appropriate details in all the other fields of the page.
- Click Register
Figure 18: Register Software
Note: The license key permits you to install this software on one computer. This is not free software.
Check for Updates #
You can update your application to latest version by clicking on Check for Updates button at the footer of the configuration screen.
Web Portal #
To access the ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ web portal, click the Web Portal button on the configuration program, or click on the desktop icon that was created during the installation process (‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ Web).
When connecting to the web portal, you will be asked to provide login credentials.
- In the Extension field, enter your 3CX extension number.
- In the PIN field, enter your 3CX voicemail PIN.
- Click Login button to login to your account.
Figure 19: ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ Web Portal Login
Sync Screen #
The Syncscreen enables you to configure settings to trigger the ‘Schedule Timer’ in desired mode so that the ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ will perform the following series of actions:
1. Log into Active Directory with valid credentials to access the information in AD.
2. Look in AD for the field that denotes user’s extension number. (IP Phone, Fax, Mobile etc. for instance)
3. Build the list of users associated to an Organizational Unit along with their respective extension in AD.
Note: If multiple ‘Organizational Units’ exist then, the ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ collects the extensions from each Organizational Unit one after the other and adds them to the same list.
4. Build the list of users and their respective extensions in 3CX.
5. Compare the list built in AD with that built in 3CX.
6. Delete the extensions in 3CX that are found in 3CX but not in AD.
7. Archive voicemails and recordings of the deleted extension to the configured extension (this is optional).
Figure 20: Sync Screen
Configure Active Directory Settings #
1. In the Syncscreen, under Active Directory section and in the Domain field, enter valid domain with which you want to log into AD.
2. In the User Name and Password fields, enter valid credentials for the respective domain.
3. Click Test button to confirm that the user can log into AD with the provided credentials. Once the login is successful, success message will be displayed.
4. From the AD Phone Field drop down list, select the desired field to denote the user’s extension number.
Figure 21: AD Phone Field dropdown list
5. From the Archive Extension drop down list, select the desired extension to which you want to archive all the voicemails and recordings of the extension that you want to delete. (This is optional).
Figure 22: Archive Extension dropdown list
6. If you want to add a new Organizational Unit, beside Organizational Unit, click Add and enter the details for Organization Unit (OU) and Domain Control (DC) in the format: OU=MyDomain Users, DC=MyDomain, DC=com, with DC=com as standard value. For instance, to add an Organizational Unit with name INDIAOffice, you can type as: OU=INDIAOffice,DC=VOIPTEST,DC=com
Figure 23: Add Organizational Unit
7. Click Save to save the AD information that you have just configured.
By default, archiving voicemails and recordings of deleted extensions is turned on.
1. In the Settings section, check Disable/Delete Extension and then select the following as per your requirement:
i) Disable – so that ‘Active Directory Sync’ disables/inactivates the extensions in 3CX which are found in AD but not in 3CX.
ii) Delete – so that ‘Active Directory Sync’ deletes the extensions in 3CX which are found in AD but not in 3CX.
Figure 24: Settings – Disable/Delete Extension
- If you do not select any option then by default, the ‘Active Directory Sync’ will consider ‘Delete’ option.
- Active Directory Sync automatically saves the values once you select ‘Disable’ or ‘Delete’ option. You need not save the updates manually.
2. Check Add Missing Extensions From Active Directory checkbox if you want to add the missing extensions to AD, and then select the following as per your requirement:
Figure 25: Settings – Add Missing Extensions From Active Directory
i). From the Template Extension dropdown list, select the desired extension so that the ‘Active Directory Sync’ will apply the settings of the selected extension to the missing extensions while creating them in the 3CX
Figure 26: Settings – Template Extension
ii). Check Add Extensions to 3CX Groups checkbox if you want to add the missing extensions to their respective groups and then the following options will appear:
a). AD Group Field – select the field name (usually, ‘Department’) so that the ‘Active Directory Sync’ will check for that field in AD where the group name of the missing extension is specified.
b). Create Missing Group – check this option so that the ‘Active Directory Sync’ will create the missing group of the respective missing extension in 3CX.
Figure 27: Settings – Add Extensions to 3CX Groups
Note:If you uncheck Create Missing Group checkbox then the ‘Active Directory Sync’ will add the missing extensions to ‘Default’ group.
iii). The ‘Active Directory Sync’ saves the settings to database and will execute according to the scheduled time.
Configure Extension Update Schedule #
- In the Extension Update Schedule section, select Frequency option if you want to trigger the Schedule Timer to run for every specified Minutes of time.
- Select Time option if you want to trigger the Schedule Timer to run at the specified Time of the Day.
- Select On Demand option if you want to trigger the Schedule Timer to run instantly.
- Click Save to save the Schedule Update Extension settings.
- Once the settings are successfully saved, Success message box appears. Click OK.
Start/ Stop Windows Service #
- Click Start to start the windows service.
- Click Stop to stop the windows service.
Log Screen #
The Log screen enables you to view the summary of all the events that take place during the time when the Scheduler runs and instigates the ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ to perform the actions as per the configured Application Settings. From here, you can also export the information to the desired format. If you do not want to see the logs anymore, you can clear them.
Figure 28: Log Screen
Site Screen #
The Site Settings enable you to customize branding settings for the application that include the following:
- Customize the gradient color of ‘Application Header’
- Customize grid color in screens that display grid data
- Customize logo on the ‘Application Header’
- Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ on the ‘Application Header’
Figure 29: Site Screen
Custom Brand Settings
- In the Site screen and in the Custom Branding Settings form, perform the following Brand Setting Customizations:
- A. Customize Application Title Header – Gradient Color
- i. Beside Header Gradient Color and from the Top Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display as the top color for the ‘Application Title Header’.
Figure 30: Header Gradient Color
- ii. From the Bottom Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display at the bottom of the ‘Application Title Header’ in gradient to the selected Top Color.
- B. Customize Grid Color
- i. From the Grid Color palette, select the color that you want to display for the grid in screens that display grid data.
Figure 31: Grid Color Palette
- ii. The final display after applying ‘Grid Color’ branding settings:
Figure 32: Display of Customized Grid Color
- C. Customize Logo
- i. If you are uploading the logo for the first time then, beside Upload New Logo field, click Browse and select the logo that you want to apply. You will now observe that the logo is added to the Custom Logo drop down list.
- ii. From the Custom Logo drop down list, select the logo that you have just uploaded.
Figure 33: Custom Logo
- D. Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ Text
- i. In the Header Title field, enter the text that you want the application to display as ‘prefix’ for the existing title in application header.
Figure 35: Custom Header Title Prefix
2. Once you perform desired customizations, click Apply.
Figure 29: Display of Customized Brand Settings
About Screen #
The About screen displays current version of the application and contact details.
Figure 30: About Screen
Visit our website to access our on-line manuals and receive quick answers to most of your questions. Otherwise, you can contact us by phone, email, live chat and on the VoIPTools forums.
Support Hours (USA and India) #
Our team is ready to assist you with answers to your technical questions and we now offer 24/7, 365 days a year.
Windows Event Log (Applications and Services VoIPTools) #
The Windows Event Log lists various errors, information messages and warnings related to all our VoIPTools applications and services. The data here can be used for troubleshooting various application errors.
Our forum is intended for VoIPTools customers to collaborate on real-life challenges, solutions and best practices. You can participate on our forum at: https://www.voiptools.com/community/
Submit a Bug #
If you suspect a bug in any of our VoIPTools products, you can bring it to our notice by reporting your issue at: https://www.voiptools.com/report-a-bug/
Live Chat #
Our chat support team is ready to acknowledge your queries in real-time. You can start a live chat with us by simply clicking on the Live Chat button at the lower right corner of our web page.
You can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to describe your issue in detail. We’ll get back to you within one business day of receiving your request.
You can call us at +1 801-642-4655 to reach a representative. VoIPTools will accept calls at this number from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time).
Support Services #
Free Support: #
If you purchased our products through a VoIPTools Partner, your Partner will provide first level support. Partners have access to 100% free technical support, provided they participate actively in the troubleshooting process.
VoIPTools customers have access to our on-line manuals and we will respond to emails (next business day) and live chat, but we will not login to your servers remotely.
Paid Support: #
If you purchase “Installation Support’ our support team can login to your servers and install and configure all our tools for you. This includes installing SQL Server Express and Internet Information Server if required. Our team will work with you to configure our applications to best meet your needs.