- Step By Step Installation Procedure
- 3CX Recording Manager Configuration Screen
- Web Portal
- Recordings Screen
- Settings Screen
- Log Screen
Are you facing the daunting task of managing disk space within your organization, especially when it comes to storing phone conversation recordings? Look no further! Introducing 3CX Recording Manager, the ultimate solution designed to simplify your workload. With this remarkable 3CX/PBX plugin, you’ll effortlessly archive your 3CX recordings as MP3 files to a designated alternate location, such as a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device, or even send them to a different email address.
By utilizing MP3 files, you’ll witness a significant reduction in storage requirements compared to space-consuming WAV files. In fact, MP3 files take up only a fraction of the original size, approximately 1/7th! Imagine the valuable space you can save.
But that’s not all! Our advanced technology also provides an automated method to compress file sizes, ensuring optimal storage efficiency. Additionally, it creates an archive copy of each recording and stores it in a secure alternate location. This way, you can rest assured that a permanent copy of every recording is safely preserved.
Furthermore, our retention policy takes care of the clutter for you. It automatically identifies and deletes old recordings that surpass a specified date, streamlining your storage management process effortlessly.
Don’t let disk space constraints hinder your operations any longer. Take control with 3CX Recording Manager, the ultimate tool for efficient disk space management. Say goodbye to storage woes and embrace a seamless recording archiving experience. Get started today and unlock a world of storage efficiency!
Discover the Power of Recording Manager! #
Experience the seamless efficiency of 3CX Recording Manager, an incredible plugin designed specifically for your 3CX/PBX system. With this remarkable tool, effortlessly handle and organize your call recordings through a user-friendly web portal. Whether you want to archive, compress, or purge your recordings, Recording Manager makes it a breeze.
Capture every important conversation with ease! Take advantage of the ad-hoc recording feature, enabling you to record individual calls whenever necessary. Need to monitor specific extensions? Recording Manager has you covered by allowing you to effortlessly record all calls made by a designated extension(s). Looking for a comprehensive solution? You can even record all calls within your entire phone system!
Don’t let valuable conversations slip away. Empower yourself with the advanced capabilities of 3CX Recording Manager, the ultimate tool for managing your call recordings. Experience streamlined efficiency like never before!
Why chose Recording Manager? #
Discover the Convenience of 3CX Recording Manager!
Simplify Your Recording Experience with Ease!
|Effortlessly Locate, Listen, and Organize 3CX Recordings|
Simplified Installation and Updates Made Easy
|Enjoy Seamless Compatibility with Popular Browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari)|
Convenient Access via PC, MAC, or Smart Phone
Effortlessly Remove Outdated Recordings to Free Up Valuable Server Space
Streamline Administration with the Integrated 3CX Login Database
Effortlessly Manage Recorded Extensions Through the User-Friendly Web Portal
Purchase with Ease, Utilizing Free Tools from Microsoft
How to Use Recording Manager? #
To effectively employ the powerful features of 3CX Recording Manager, it is imperative to understand the simple yet crucial steps involved in its setup and usage. This user-friendly software requires a one-time installation process, ensuring hassle-free access to its extensive recording capabilities.
3CX Recording Manager as a Remote Server Support #
You can install 3CX Recording Manager either directly on the 3CX server or on a remote server. To install it on a remote server, you need to install the 3CX Relay Agent on the 3CX Server. However, you can install the Windows service, SQL Server, and web portal on separate servers.
You must ensure that your computer satisfies the minimum requirements specified below to install 3CX Recording Manager before you begin with the installation steps mentioned in this guide,
- 3CX Version V18
- Windows 10 or above / Windows Server 2012 (64 bit) or above
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or above (Including the free SQL Express edition)
- To play recordings within browser requires HTML5 audio support
- .Net 4.7.2 or above
- Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) 7.2 or above
- Port number 5500 opened on your device.
- When you install SQL Server, we recommend that you install it in ‘Mixed Mode’ to include SQL Authentication and install SQL Management Studio.
- When you install IIS, make sure to install Basic Authentication, .Net Extensibility, and ASP.Net 4.X.
- Installing on a Domain Controller is feasible but will necessitate VoIPTools technical assistance, which costs $115 per hour
|Download software||You have the option to purchase 3CX Recording Manager online at https://www.voiptools.com. Your order confirmation email includes your license key and a link to download the software|
|Install Prerequisites||To install 3CX Recording Manager, you need to install several prerequisites beforehand. These prerequisites include Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server.|
|Install 3CX Recording Manager||This User Guide presents step-by-step instructions for installing 3CX Recording Manager successfully. You should start by extracting the installer from the downloaded zip file (Step 1 mentioned earlier), and then proceed to run the setup program called 3CXRecordingManagerInstaller.exe.|
|Register your License Key||You need to register your license key in order to activate 3CX Recording Manager. The license key is included in the email confirming your order and can also be accessed in your order history on our website|
Step By Step Installation Procedure #
The following section guides you through a detailed walk-through of the installation process:
Step 1: Download 3CX Recording Manager #
- You can locate the software download link in the Order Confirmation Email or access it in your order history on our website to obtain the 3CX Recording Manager application.
- In the Microsoft Defender SmartScreen, click the More Info option.
- Click the Run Anyway option to start the installation.
Step 2: Install Prerequisites #
Click on the software installer that was downloaded in step 1 above. The installation wizard will automatically identify the needed prerequisites and assist you with the install of the prerequisites needed to run ‘3CX Recording Manager’. These include .NET Framework (Web Installer), SQL Server Express (Web Installer) and, SQL Server Management Studio.
- Click the downloaded installer executable to launch the Prerequisites Setup Wizard and click Next.
- In the Prerequisites window, the installer will identify the missing prerequisites. It is important that you install all the required prerequisites. However, you can select/unselect the applications to be installed based on your unique requirements. Click Next to continue.
The installer will download and install the selected applications.
- If you have selected to install “SQL Server Express”, the Microsoft SQL Server License Terms page will display. Click Accept to acknowledge the license terms and continue.
- In the next window, the Media Location field displays the SQL Server Media target location. If required, you can browse to change the location. Click Install to begin the installation of SQL Server Express.
- Once the prerequisites are installed successfully, click Close.
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio begins to install. Once the installation is complete, click Next
Step 3: Start the installation process #
- After all the prerequisites are installed, the 3CX Recording Manager Setup Wizard appears. Click Next to Continue.
- On the Select Installation Folder window, the Folder field displays the location where the ‘3CX Recording Manager’ will be installed. Note that you cannot change the path.
- Click Next to continue.
Step 4: Test Relay Settings #
- In the 3CX Relay Services window, in the Relay Host field, enter the FQDN of your 3CX server.
- Enter 8801 in the Relay Port field.
- Enter the public key you took from VoIPTools Relay services in the Public Key text area.
- Click the Test Relay Settings to confirm ‘3CX Recording Manager’ can communicate with the Relay services running on the 3CX server.
- If the ‘3CX Recording Manager’ is successfully able to communicate with the Relay services that run on the 3CX server, a Success message box appears. Click OK. Click Next to continue with the installation.
If the test fails, you will not be able to continue until communication with the relay is established. If the test was unsuccessful:
- confirm you have the correct firewall port open (default TCP 8801) on the 3CX server and the firewall protecting the 3CX server.
- confirm that you have entered the correct FQDN for the 3CX server.
- confirm that 3CX Recording Manager and the Relay are using the same port and protocol.
Step 5: Configure the database #
When configuring 3CX Recording Manager, select an existing Microsoft SQL Server instance in your environment. The database server can be a remote SQL Server (How-to configure SQL Server to permit remote connections), or a local instance running on the VoIPTools server.
- On the SQL Database window, in the Server field, select the desired instance of SQL Server
We encourage you to use SQL Authentication rather than Windows authentication. Many of our tools leverage a Call Flow Designer (CFD) application running on the 3CX. Frequently our CFD applications require access to a SQL database. If the 3CX server and the database server are not in an Active Directory domain, Windows authentication will fail. To use SQL authentication, your SQL Server must be configured to run in “Mixed Mode”. If you installed SQL Server with one of our tools, we configure SQL in “Mixed Mode”.
- To use SQL Authentication, be sure to uncheck the Trusted Connection checkbox.
- In the Username and Password fields, enter valid SQL login account credentials.
- To use Windows Integrated Authentication (not recommended), check the Trusted Connection (Windows integrated authentication) checkbox.
- In the Database field, the installer will automatically display the default database name. We encourage you to use the default name. If you are upgrading or reinstalling 3CX Recording Manager, select the existing database name from the list.
- Click the Test SQL Connection button to confirm connectivity to SQL Server and then click Next to continue.
Step 6: Installing 3CX Recording Manager #
- In the Ready to Install window, click Install to start the installation of the ‘3CX Recording Manager’.
The application installation is in progress. It may take several minutes to complete.
- Once the installation is complete, check Launch 3CX Recording Manager check box and then click Finish. The 3CX Recording Manager configuration screen opens. If you want to simply close the installer without opening the configuration screen, then simply uncheck Launch 3CX Recording Manager check box and then click Finish
3CX Recording Manager Configuration Screen #
The 3CX Recording Manager Settings screen enables you to register the software, configure recording path, archive path, email server settings, time zone, import existing records, set retention policy and connect to web portal.
License screen: Register Software #
Registration is required to authorize your license key. Registering also makes it possible for VoIPTools to provide a replacement key if your license key is ever lost. Also, it enables VoIPTools to notify you of any product updates, and reminders if your key is reaching the renewal date.
- Click the License tab and enter registration information.
- Click Register.
- Click OK in the Success message box appears.
Import screen #
The Import screen enables you to import recording files. Based on the recording path that you have mentioned in 3CX, the Recording Manager automatically inserts the recordings into the database. If you have selected to ‘Archive’ the recordings then simultaneously while importing, the Recording Manager will also archive the recordings.
Import Recording Files #
- In the Import tab, click Import button. The ‘3CX Recording Manager’ automatically gets the recording path from 3CX and inserts the recordings data into database. Simultaneously, the recordings also will be archived if you have selected Archive option in Retention tab.
- If you want to fetch the recording creation date time from the file name, then click Advanced Settings and then check Use the recording date embedded in the file name checkbox.
- If you want to import the recordings of a specific extension range then, in the Import Restrictions section, check All Extensions or Range check box and then enter Start and End extension range that you want to import.
- If you want to import the files since the last import date checks Import starting from the last import date and select the appropriate date from the date drop-down.
- Click Save.
Retention screen #
The Retention screen lets you control the storage of call recordings by configuring the Delete Policy and the Archive policy of your recordings.
Delete Policy #
- In the Retention tab, under Delete Policy, check Delete recording after sending email checkbox if you want to delete the recording as soon as the recording is mailed as an attachment to the email set in Step:9
- Check Delete recordings older than checkbox and set the schedule with appropriate time in Days and Delete at fields. By doing so, once the recordings reach the set schedule, the Recording Manager deletes them from the Recording Pathand saves them to the Archive Path.
If the Archive Policy is not enabled, then the Recording Manager saves the records that reached the Delete recordings older than time, to the ‘Default Archive Path’.
If the Archive Policy is enabled, then Recording Manager saves the records that reached the Delete recordings older thantime to the Archive Path that you set in Archive Policy.
Archive Policy #
- Under Archive Policy, check Archive checkbox if you want to archive the recordings to another location.
- Set Archive Path to the location where you want the call recordings to be archived.
- Check Archive and Delete checkbox if you want the Recording Manager to copy the recording files from recording path to archive path (in mp3 format) and then delete the files from the recording path.
- Check Delete archives older than checkbox and then set the desired number of days and time so that the Recording Manager will delete the archived recording files (.mp3) as per the scheduled time period.
You must not set the Archive Path as the Recording Manager folder. This creates overwriting of files and may lead to deletion of filed when new build is released.
3CX screen: Set Recording Path #
- Under Web Portal Rights section,
- From the Download rights dropdown, select desired option to control who can download recordings in the web portal.
- From the Email rights dropdown, select desired option to control who can email the recorded audio files in the web portal.
- From the Delete rights dropdown, select desired option to control who can delete recordings in the web portal.
- Check Record Only Inbound External Calls check box to instruct 3CX Recording Manager to record only inbound external calls.
- Under Transcribe section:
- Check Transcribe Recordings checkbox if you want to transcribe the recordings. You can also choose the list of extensions that you wish to transcribe in the Web portal of ‘3CX Recording Manager’.
- In the Google Speech Service Account File Path field, choose the file path of the JSON file that you get after creating a Google cloud account.
- In the Cloud Storage Bucket Name field, enter the bucket name that you have created in your google cloud account so that the recordings which are more than 1 minute will be uploaded to cloud and then transcribed and will be deleted from cloud after transcribing.
- Click Save to save the changes that you have just made to the 3CX tab.
To know how to setup Google Cloud Account for usage of Speech-to-Text transcription, click here.
Recording Mover screen #
The Recording Mover tab lets you configure settings so that you can move recordings from one server to another server using API.
The changes made to ‘Recording Mover’ settings will be effective only after restarting ‘3CX Recording Manager’ service.
- In the Recording Mover tab, check the Move Recordings checkbox to enable and configure Recording Mover settings.
- In the Queues section, check all the desired queues whose recordings you want to move to the configured server.
- In the Groups section, check all the desired groups whose recordings you want to move to the configured server.
- In the Server section:
- In the URL field, enter the server URL to which you want to move the configured recording files.
- In the Port field, enter the server port number.
- In the Username and Password fields, enter valid server login credentials.
- Check the SSL checkbox if the server requires a secure connection.
- Enter the FTP folder path in the Path field to which the Recordings get exported.
You must type a slash “/” at the end of the FTP folder path. Without the “/” the Recording Mover cannot export the recordings.
- In the Export section,
- Check the Daily option if you want to move the recordings on a daily basis and configure the time in the Export At field at which you want to export the recordings or
- Check the Live option if you want to move the recordings and individual CSV files (We generate the CSV file with all the CDR data) once the recording is finished.
- Under the Calls sub-section,
- check the Inbound checkbox to move only inbound recordings.
- check the Outbound checkbox to move only outbound recordings
- Check both boxes to move both inbound and outbound recordings to the server.
You must disable the settings in the Retention tab when using the Export Daily option.
Email screen #
The Email screen lets you send the recordings to the target email address. Follow the procedure to Configure Email Server Settings,
- In the Email tab, check Email Recordings checkbox if you want to email call recordings.
- In the Email Server field, enter IP address or ‘Fully Qualified Domain Name’ (FQDN) of your email server. Examples: smtp.gmail.com or 192.168.1.20
- In the Port field, enter the port number. The default value is 25. For Gmail/ Google Apps use port 587
- In the Email From field, enter the email address to use as the “from” email address. Note that your SMTP server may require a valid email address be used. For example: email@example.com
- In the Email Subject field, enter the emails subject as per your requirement.
- In the Alt Email field, enter an email address (example: firstname.lastname@example.org). This is a temporary address meant to only test if the email server is working as per the set configuration.
- Check Email new recording notes checkbox if you want to send an email to the owner of the recording and their manager when a new note is added.
Portal screen #
The 3CX Recording Manager Web Portal enables you to easily find recordings using the built-in query manager. From the portal, you can listen to, download, email and delete recordings.
- In the Portal tab, set Default time zone
- Click Web Portal
- The system navigates you to the ‘Recording Manager Standard – Manager’ Login page
Web Portal #
To access the ‘3CX Recording Manager Standard’ web portal, click the Web Portal button on the configuration program (Portal tab on the configuration screen), or click on the desktop icon that was created during the installation process (‘3CX Recording Manager’ Web).
Login to Web Portal
When connecting to the web portal, you will be asked to provide login credentials.
- In the Extension field, enter your 3CX extension number
- In the PIN field, enter your 3CX voicemail PIN
- Click the Login button to login to your account
Manager and Agent Privileges
As a ‘Manager’, you will be able to view the following tabs:
As an Agent
As an ‘Agent’, you will be able to view the following tabs:
Recordings Screen #
Recordings screen enables you to do the following:
- Verify if a recording file is tampered or not.
- View the recorded calls (incoming or outgoing) of those extensions that were either recorded manually or were set (in the ‘Settings’ screen) to record automatically.
- Configure Date Time Zone
- Add new or update existing score for a specific recorded call.
- Add new or update existing notes for a specific recorded call.
- Play the specific recorded audio file.
- Email specific recorded audio file to the desired email address.
- Download specific recorded audio file to the desired location on your local computer.
- Display the transcribed text under each of the recordings if you have chosen to transcribe the recordings.
The date and time of the recordings will be according to the Date Time Zone set in the Recordings screen.
|EXT||The extension number of the device that initiated the call.|
|CALLER NAME||The name of the caller of the extension that initiated the call.|
|CALLER NUMBER||The number of the extension/ phone number of the caller that initiated the call.|
|CALLED NUMBER||The extension/ phone number of the device that received the call from the ‘Caller’.|
|DATE||The ‘Date’ (according to the ‘Display Time Zone’) at which the caller initiated the call.|
|TIME||The ‘Time’ (according to the ‘Display Time Zone’) at which the caller initiated the call.|
|DURATION||The duration of the call that is recorded.|
|SCORE||It is the ‘Score’ for the recorded call. It is generally between 1 and 10 and the system displays the result in a graphical bar.|
|RECORDING||The audio file of the recorded call.|
|ARCHIVE||If the ‘Recording Manager’ is configured to archive the recorded audio files, then the archived audio file will be displayed in the Web Portal in ‘Recordings’ screen.|
Verify If Recording Is Tampered Or Not #
Recording Manager verifies if a recording file is tampered or not. As soon as a call completes between the client and an agent, the Recording Manager encodes and saves the recording file in database. Next time when a user plays the same recording file from web portal, the Recording Manager compares the current file (from recording path) with that saved in the database. If it is found that the file has not been edited, then displays the symbol else displays the symbol.
- In the Recordings screen and in the Recording column, click the Play button of the desired recording that you want to verify.
- In the Recording File popup, if symbol appears then the recording has not been tampered.
The recordings saved in previous version of Recording Manager will be shown as ‘Verified’ by default.
Configure Display Time Zone #
- In the Web Portal, click Recordings tab.
- From the Display Time Zone drop down, select the time zone in which you want the ‘Recordings’ screen to display ‘Date’ and ‘Time’.
Add New or Update Existing Score #
- In the Recordings screen, click the beside the extension for which you want to add new or update an existing score.
- In the Score box, click up or down arrow to increase or decrease the score accordingly.
- Click Update Score.
The Score range is between 1 and 10.
Add New Notes #
- In the Recordings screen, click Expand button beside the extension for which you want to add new notes.
- In the Note text box, click Add button to display the text box to add the notes.
- In the text box, type the text for the recorded call.
- Click Save to save or Cancel to cancel the notes.
If an agent adds note, the manager will be notified about the note along with the recording through an email. And, if a manager adds a note, the respective agent will be notified about the note through an email. For this, ensure that the email settings are configured in the configuration screen.
Update Existing Notes #
- In the Recordings screen, click Expand button beside the extension for which you want to update the existing notes.
- In the Notes grid, click Edit button beside the notes that you want to update.
- Edit the notes in the text box and click Save to save or Cancel to cancel the changes.
Listen/ Email/ Download Recorded Audio File #
- In the Recordings screen, and in the Recording column, click the audio file of the recording that you want to want to listen/ email or download.
- In the Recording File popup,
- Click Play button to play the audio file of the recorded call.
- Click Email Recording button to email the recorded audio file to the desired email address.
- Enter data in all the mandatory fields.
- Click Email Recording button to email the recorded audio file to the desired email address.
- Once the file is successfully sent, Success message box appears and click OK.
- Click the Download button to download the recorded audio file and save it to your local computer.
Settings Screen #
The Settings screen enables you to select the extensions for which you want to automate call recording for both incoming and outgoing calls, and customize brand settings. You can access ‘Settings’ screen only as a manager.
Hover over the mouse on Settings tab to display the dropdown menu with the following menu options:
Only the user with ‘Manager’ role will be able to view and access the ‘Settings’ tab.
Recording Options #
The Recording Settings screen enables you to select the extensions for which you want to automate call recording for both incoming and outgoing calls.
Group Manager will be able to see only those extensions that were added to the group to which the group manager belongs to.
- Hover over the mouse on Settings tab and from the drop down menu, select Recording Settings.
- Check the check box beside all the extensions for which you want to automate call recording for both incoming and outgoing calls.
- Click Update to save the extensions.
- Success message box appears. Click OK.
Score Settings #
The Score Settings screen enables you to select the desired questions that you want to display in ‘Recordings’ screen. The manager then gives the ‘Score’ for the recorded call. It is generally between 1 and 10 and the system displays the result in a graphical bar.
- Check the check box beside all the desired questions that you want to display in Recordings screen.
- Click Save to save the score settings.
Site Settings #
Site Settings enable you to customize branding settings for the application that include the following:
- Customize the gradient color of ‘Application Header’
- Customize grid color in screens that display grid data
- Customize logo on the ‘Application Header’
- Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ on the ‘Application Header’
- Hover over the mouse on Settings tab and from the drop down menu, select Site Settings
Customize Application Title Header – Gradient Color #
- In the Header Colour section do the following,
- Select the top paint from the Top Colour color palette.
- Select the bottom paint from the Bottom Colour color palette.
- Click Apply to Save the settings.
Customize Grid Color #
- From the Grid Color palette, select the color that you want to display for the grid in screens that display grid data
- Click Save to save your settings.
Customize Logo #
- If you are uploading the logo for the first time then,
- In the Custom Logo section, click Chose File button to choose a logo from your device.
- Select the uploaded logo from the Select Logo dropdown list.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
- If your have uploaded the logo,
- Select the uploaded logo from the Select Logo dropdown list.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ Text #
- In the Header Title field, enter the text that you want the application to display as a ‘prefix’ for the existing title in the application header.
- Click Save to save the header title prefix.
The final result of the page when you do all the customizations,
Log Screen #
Log screen enables you to view the login and logout events of all the sessions along with ‘Date’ and ‘Time’ that is according to the time zone set in ‘Recordings’ screen.
The Recording Manager Standard will not capture the logout event if the user browses to a different website or closes the browser without logging out first.
Visit our website to access our on-line manuals and receive quick answers to most of your questions. Otherwise, you can contact us by phone, email, live chat and on the VoIPTools forums.
Support Hours (USA and India) #
Our team is ready to assist you with answers to your technical questions and we now offer 24/7, 365 days a year.
Windows Event Log (Applications and Services ? VoIPTools) #
The Windows Event Log lists various errors, information messages and warnings related to all our VoIPTools applications and services. The data here can be used for troubleshooting various application errors.
Our forum is intended for VoIPTools customers to collaborate on real-life challenges, solutions and best practices. You can participate on our forum at: https://www.voiptools.com/community/
Submit a Bug #
If you suspect a bug in any of our VoIPTools products, you can bring it to our notice by reporting your issue at: https://www.voiptools.com/report-a-bug/
Live Chat #
Our chat support team is ready to acknowledge your queries in real-time. You can start a live chat with us by simply clicking on the Live Chat button at the lower right corner of our web page.
You can email us at: email@example.com. Be sure to describe your issue in detail. We’ll get back to you within one business day of receiving your request.
You can call us at +1 801-642-4655 to reach a representative. VoIPTools will accept calls at this number from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time).
Support Services #
Free Support: #
If you purchased our products through a VoIPTools Partner, your Partner will provide first level support. Partners have access to 100% free technical support, provided they participate actively in the troubleshooting process.
VoIPTools customers have access to our on-line manuals and we will respond to emails (next business day) and live chat, but we will not login to your servers remotely.
Paid Support: #
If you purchase “Installation Support’ our support team can login to your servers and install and configure all our tools for you. This includes installing SQL Server Express and Internet Information Server if required. Our team will work with you to configure our applications to best meet your needs.